Saturday, June 29, 2013

Summer Reading Fun!



Summer reading! Yes, it is often mandated by schools, but I encourage you to allow your child to read for FUN as well! But my kid doesn't like to read - you say? I hear you, I empathize, and I'm here to help. In the two articles below you will find tips to help your children enjoy words and literature and a wake up call regarding our older children. Check them out! You may find them helpful and interesting:

1) A few months ago, I received a call and found myself in an interview being questioned about reading and story times. I found myself discussing strategies for helping young readers enjoy reading. Read my answers in Raising Readers by Christy Taylor from Florida Crossroads Magazine, page 16. Also please note the side article on Special Needs story times which I helped develop in Seminole County.  

http://www.magazinevolume.com/13600CC/#/16/

2) Recently this article came to my attention. In the article, the author and college professor Danny Heitman, looks at college students and draws some conclusions regarding the connection between reading and writing and the importance of reading for fun. The Young and the Bookless by Danny Heitman from the Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, June 25, 2013.


Have fun reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment